The College recognizes student achievement in several ways, as indicated below.
Semester Honors Lists
Two academic honors lists are published at the end of the fall and spring semesters of each academic year under the Current Students tab on the College's website. These honors lists recognize students who have achieved outstanding grade point averages for the semester. To be eligible for the lists, students must be in good academic standing at Pensacola State College as outlined in the Standards of Academic Progress.
- The President's List: Full-time students (12 credit hours or more per semester of college level coursework) who earn an overall GPA of 4.0 for the semester.
- Dean's List: Full-time students (12 credit hours or more per semester of college level coursework) who earn an overall GPA of 3.5–3.9 for the semester.
All students are eligible for academic achievement recognition during the appropriate Commencement Ceremony. Grade point averages are based on all credit hours attempted at Pensacola State College combined with transfer credits from other institutions attended including courses not used for the degree awarded. Associate degree students and baccalaureate students will graduate with honors according to three honors categories:
- Cum Laude will be awarded to students with a cumulative GPA between 3.50–3.74.
- Magna Cum Laude will be awarded to students with a cumulative GPA between 3.75–3.99.
- Summa Cum Laude will be awarded to students with a cumulative grade point average of 4.0.
The determination of the three honors categories (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude) for the commencement ceremony is based on the cumulative grade point average at the end of the student's last semester of enrollment prior to the semester of graduation. Students who have met the criteria for honors prior to their semester of graduation will be eligible for the honors cords at the graduation ceremony.
The transcript is the final and official record of a student's standing at the time of graduation. A student meeting the honors criteria at the time of graduation and after the official analysis of graduation eligibility will have the appropriate notation affixed to the official transcript and on the diploma, degree, or certificate awarded.
Student Excellence Awards
At this annual honors ceremony, students are recognized for Departmental and Program Scholars, Scholastic Achievement, Leadership, and Service.
- Departmental and Program Scholar recipients are selected by the individual academic departments in recognition of outstanding performance in the classroom and high test scores on competitive departmental examinations.
- Scholastic Achievement Award recipients are selected by grade point averages. Recipients must have maintained a 3.9 GPA or better while completing at least 80% of the requirements for the degree they are seeking.
- The Leadership Award is based upon participation in service clubs.
- Service Award recipients are selected by the faculty and department heads. This award is based on the outstanding services rendered in their respective departments, schools, and campuses.
- The Sigma Beta Delta Award is an International Honor Society in Business Administration and Management. Induction is offered to BAS students who have a 3.5 or above GPA after having taken 90 credit hours.